Hello guys, we hope you are fine and enjoy work from home but if you are a Microsoft Windows user and recently upgraded to Windows 10 operating system, then like plenty of other users you might face an issue called “The Default Gateway is Not Available” which is quite a normal error these days. If you are one of them who are facing this then we have good news for you, that we have come across this error and we finally found the solution for it.
The Default Gateway is Not Available
Users who face this issue in recent times, either have no access to the web or the internet connection. The Default Gateway is Not Available error that can be checked by the symbol of no connectivity in the system tray on their screen. After upgrading to Windows 10, the PC switches to the wireless functionality and reports “no internet access”.
The error box usually shares The Default Gateway is Not Available error via X that is covered with a red circle [Check screenshot below] and because of this, users cannot access the internet on the device. The default gateway is part of the system where it passes the tickets via your network to the network provider for internet connection connectivity.
The error of The Default Gateway is Not Available in Windows 10 becomes a reason where you will be unable to connect with any system outside.
How to Fix The Default Gateway is Not Available in Windows 10?
The real reason behind The Default Gateway is Not Available error is that the system acts like it is incompatible with the corrupted network adapter drivers and malware or viruses. So, in this case, a user must troubleshoot the PC.
The Default Gateway is Not Available can be caused by the antivirus software’s like McAfee etc. and we tried some methods which we are going to share below, and each method works for us, and if any method didn’t work for you, we highly recommend you to shift to next method below and try it on your Windows 10 PC.
Method #1: Update Windows 10 and All PC Drivers
The Default Gateway is Not Available Error caused in windows 10 because the hardware is not set up to collaborate with the windows 10, and this issue comes because users are using the outdated drivers and are stuck with old and incompatible windows OS.
Therefore, we highly recommend you to try first to update your windows to windows 10 latest edition via the official Microsoft windows link and update drivers of your system to the latest version.
Method #2: Uninstall Network Adapter Drivers
In this method, we are going to fix the issue of The Default Gateway is Not Available where whenever you reboot your windows, you should worry about uninstalling the network adapter drivers, and it reinstall the drivers itself.
To uninstall the network adapter drivers, follow below step by step process.
- First, press “Windows Key” along with “R”, then enter this “devmgmt. msc” and now press enters to open the Device Manager.
- Now, expand the Network Adapters and check the name of your network adapter in the list.
- Next, make sure to note down the name of your network adapter.
- Now, Right-Click on the network adapter’s name and uninstall it.
- Now, select YES to confirm the action.
- Now, Restart your System to check the network connectivity.
- If you are still unable to connect to the web, then the driver software will automatically install.
- Now, you may need to visit the manufacturer’s official website to download the latest driver.
Method #3: Try to Change Wireless Router Frequency
You might know that the latest wireless routers can easily support frequencies up to 5GHz, but your current adapter might not be able to support the frequency that your latest windows 10 needs. So, you have to change the frequency from an automatic to a specific value lower than 5GHz.
To change the frequency, you must take help from the user manual of your router or you can follow any YouTube video that is created only for the same model of router that you own.
Method #4: Manually Assign IP Address and Default Gateway
In this process, we are going to share the step by step process that explains how to manually assign IP address and default gateway. Simply follow below process:
- First, you need to press the Windows Key along with X and choose the command prompt.
- Now, enter ipconfig and hit the enter button.
- To be sure, write down the default gateway, IP Address, and subnet mask that will be listed on Wi-Fi.
- Now, right-click on the wireless icon and select Open Network and Sharing Centre.
- After this step, select Change Adapter Settings that will display on the left-hand side menu bar on the screen.
- Then right-click on Wireless Adapter Connection and select Properties and now select IP Version 4 and tap on Properties.
- Next, enable the Use the Following IP Address and write the default gateway, IP address, and subnet mask that you noted down.
- Now, first, select apply and then OK.
- Now, finally, you can reboot your system.
Method #5: Use “NetShell” Reset Command
In this process, we are going to explain how you can fix the default gateway is not available windows 10 error via using nutshell reset command.
- First, press Windows Key + X together to open the command prompt.
- Now, enter nets hint IP reset at the command prompt and hit enter button.
- Now, in the end, close the command prompt and reboot your system.
- Now, check whether the error is gone or not.
So, all the windows 10 users, the default gateway is not available, error in windows 10 fixing method is in your hand now, if you still have any doubt or query, please let us know in the comment section below.