GIveLosing your data is one of the dreaded issues you may while installing firmware in your android device. Thus, it’s vital to familiarize yourself with How to install custom ROM without losing android data using effective methods. If you are wondering if flashing a custom ROM is possible, then you must acknowledge the answer is yes. You can get it done after unlocking the bootloader. If you haven’t unlocked the bootloader, you are most likely to lose your device data.
You can follow different approaches to backup and restore your data prior and latter to flashing your device with a firmware. However, in this guide, I’ll be helping you with TWRP recovery and Titanium recovery methods. The best part of these custom recovery options is that wiping data only removes your installed apps and settings except your media files and documents.
Details that can be deleted during custom ROM installation are your app data, saved forms, and database. Another good news is that you can save these parts of your phone using a suitable migrate app like Titanium Recovery or TWRP recovery. You can run a backup to create a zip or xml file and flash along with the custom firmware.
How to Install Custom ROM without Losing Android Data
Things you’ll require prior to backing up your data:
- Unlocked Bootloader which means, you need to download a firmware already (TWRP recommended).
- Android phone that is rootable.
- Custom Recovery tool (Titanium/TWRP Recovery)
Titanium Recovery to install custom ROM without losing android data
- Step 1: Download and install Titanium Backup.
- Step 2: Launch is and tap “Allow” to give it superuser permission.
- Step 3: Tap Problems?>>Busybox to install the necessary tools to make Titanium work.
- Step 4: Tap Restart to reboot when you are prompted by the recovery tool.
- Step 5: Tap on the menu on the top right and then tap on Batch Action.
- Step 6: After Tapping on Batch Action, Tap on User>>Backup All Use Apps.
- Step 7: Hold on for a while as the Backup process takes it time.
- Step 8: When the backup process is completed, check for a folder named Titanium Backup and move or copy it in your PC or external drive.
How to install custom ROM without losing android data
Now you can install a custom ROM in your device using an internet connection, computer, and a USB cable.
Step 1: Move the custom ROM to your device storage.
Step 2: Turn Off your device to go to the recovery mode (recovery mode varies depending on device).
Step 3: Navigate to install ZIP from SD Card or Choose ZIP from External SD Card.
Step 4: Navigate to where your Custom ROM is downloaded.
Step 5: Select it and install it.
Step 6: In some cases you might be required to install Gapps right after installing custom ROM.
Step 7: Go to Recovery mode and reboot your device.
Step 8: Doing so will restart your phone with new custom ROM on yoru phone.
Restoring your Data
Retrieving your data is what you’ll do after successfully flashing your device. Follow these steps after you have installed a custom ROM in your android phone.
Step 1: Copy the backup folder in the internal storage that you saved during the backup process earlier.
Step 2: Install the Titanium App and launch it.
Step 3: Tap the Menu on the top right corner and tap the Batch Icon.
Step 4: Select Restore All Apps
You are all set to use your device without losing old data.
You May Also Like
- 10 Best Custom ROMs for Android
- Best Ways to Retrieve your lost data
- Best Recovery Software to Recover Date from MAC
- 10 Best Bluestacks Alternative to Play Android Apps in Windows Laptop
- Best Ways to Hide Files, Photos and Apps in Android
There are many different ways on How to install custom ROM without losing android data that are also specific to each android device. Given these steps I have used here pertain to the most commonly used backup and custom ROMs to get it done using your computer. How useful this guide to you is, you can let me know anytime.