WhatsApp has been one of the most popular instant messenger services. The immense popularity it enjoys across a varied range of smartphones with multiple operating systems is evident from the uproar that was created when WhatsApp decided to stop support for some versions of the operating systems across Android, iOS, and other platforms. How about running WhatsApp on your computer? Not to worryÂ WhatsApp has made it possible. Let us check the steps involved in installing WhatsApp on your computer.
How to Use WhatsApp on Desktop?
WhatsApp offers you two options to install and use WhatsApp on your computer. You can either use WhatsApp on the web or install stand alone WhatsApp application.
Do you know?
Use WhatsApp Through WhatsApp on The Web
During the initial days of WhatsApp, users had to rely on hacks to be able to use WhatsApp on their desktop. Some of these hacks included installing Bluestacks App Players and install the APK file that can help you to use WhatsApp on PC. The experience was not up to the mark.
Thanks to the WhatsApp web feature introduced by the instant messenger, you can now access WhatsApp seamlessly on the web. The web client is available for Windows Phone, iOS, Android, Symbian, and BlackBerry operating systems.
How To Use WhatsApp Through WhatsApp On The Web
- Make sure that WhatsApp on your phone is updated to the latest available version.
- Launch Google Chrome or any of your favorite browser on your desktop.
- Visit https://web.whatsapp.com
- You should see a QR code on your desktop.
- Launch WhatsApp on your device and tap on the three-dot menu at the right top corner. You may need to opt for any alternative options to access this depending upon the OS version of your phone.
- Tap on WhatsApp on The Web.
- Scan the QR code.
That’s it. You have successfully paired your WhatsApp app with your desktop. Your desktop will now mirror the WhatsApp application on your phone.
Your WhatsApp account will be continuously synced with your Phone and desktop seamlessly when you are using WhatsApp for PC. However, it will use the internet connection on your phone. If you lose internet connectivity on your device, it will be lost on your desktop as well.
Through a standalone application
WhatsApp has introduced the executable application option for Windows and Mac OS recently. The application needs to be downloaded from the official WhatsApp website.
Install WhatsApp On PC
How To Install WhatsApp On Your Windows desktop â€“
Please note that the application will be compatible only with Windows 8 and higher. There are separate files available for 32 bit and 64-bit versions of your software if you are looking to download Whatsapp for PC. Choose the one that suits you.
- Launch any of your favorite browsers on your desktop.
- Visit the official WhatsApp page whatsapp.com
- Navigate to the Downloads page to download WhatsApp Apk for PC. Alternatively, you can go to https://www.whatsapp.com/download.
- Once the download is complete, click on the Exe file you downloaded and install it.
- After successful installation, scan the QR code as in the above procedure.
That does it! Your WhatsApp account will now be mirrored on your desktop. The application works similarly to the WhatsApp on Web service as explained above. The only difference between the two services is the latter does not depend upon the browser.
Please note that you need to have Windows 8 or higher on your desktop to be able to use the standalone application. However, we could check it on our Windows 7 PC, and the installation went successfully. We could run the application successfully.
How To Install WhatsApp on your Mac OS desktop?
The standalone application is supported on Mac OS 10.9 and above. Follow the steps here below-
- Launch your favorite browser on your Mac OS desktop.
- Head on to the downloads page on the official WhatsApp website to download WhatsApp for Mac OS.
- Download the zip file from the appropriate link on the download page.
- Click on the downloaded file to install the WhatsApp App on your Mac OS.
- On the first install, you may be asked to confirm whether you want to add it to your application folder.
- After the installation is complete, launch the application and scan the QR code following the same procedure explained above
The application can also be downloaded from the Apple App Store.
How to scan QR code on different devices?
Scanning the QR code on the WhatsApp application is a major step in setting up the WhatsApp application on your desktop. The steps involved differ a little across the operating systems. Here are the steps involved
- On AndroidÂ Go to Menu, look for WhatsApp Web
- On iOSÂ Go to Settings, then look for WhatsApp Web
- On WindowsPhoneÂ Go to Chat screen, navigate to Menu, and then to WhatsApp Web.
Though it may appear to be a good option and a great way to use WhatsApp on your computer. However, the service suffers from some limitations.
- The phone needs to be constantly connected to the internet if you really want to use WhatsApp on your desktop. As soon as your internet connection goes off on your phone, you will lose the connectivity on your desktop.
- The WhatsApp on web feature is not available for the iOS platforms. WhatsApp cites the platform limitations as a reason for the lack of availability on Apple devices.
- It does not support using internet connectivity on your desktop. It uses the internet on your smartphone. This could be a concern in the case of metered connections like mobile data.
Line and WeChat are a couple of other applications that have enabled the feature long ago. WhatsApp has been offering the feature for the last two years. Initially launched as a web browser-based service, the standalone apps have been made available subsequently. Even then, there are some issues that need to be addressed. The dependence on the app on your smartphone is something that can be done away with. Let us hope for further improvements.