Every iPhone user, or for that matter any smartphone user gets annoyed when friends or anyone else snoops over what you have on your device. Ending up in uninstalling of your important apps and loosing important things in games, and photos. Of course, you can stop syncing or restrict the permissions so that the app is not accessible.
However, that is indeed a tedious affair as you would need to enable the permissions or resync the applications. The best way to stop your secret stuff from being accessible to everyone out on the street is to hide your stuff. How to hide secret stuff on an iPhone? Let us go through the step by step procedure in this article.
Why do you need to hide secret stuff on an iPhone?
Well, there are many reasons you would want to hide apps and folders on your iPhone. Even though there are few apps which werenâ€™t able to uninstall. You may want to hide it so that it does not bother you. Also hiding an app will stop it from running in the background, thereby saving your data.
Some of your apps may have sensitive data, and as such, you may not want anyone else to have access to it. There may be some apps that have no PIN protection and can be detrimental to your privacy.
Know More about New iOS 9 Hidden Features
How to hide apps and folders on an iPhone?
iOS 7 had a bug in it that helped you hide apps through nested folders. For the uninitiated, a Nested Folder is a folder that resides within another folder.
There are ten steps involved in this process .
Recommendation, all-in-one iPhone transfer softwareÂ for you to manage your iPhone content and transfer photos, contacts and other data from iPhone to computer for backup.
Create a Nested Folder.
Follow the steps here to do that.
- Step 1: List out the apps you want to hide. Add them to a new folder.
- Step 2: Drag one of the apps on This will create a new folder with two apps.
- Step 3: Now continue adding apps one by one following the same manner. You will only need to drag the apps and drop them into the folder you just created.
- Step 4: Once done, you have created a folder with the apps that you want to hide. Let us call this folder 1.
- Step 5: Next step would be to Nest this folder into another folder. This is a little tricky and may not be an easy task for the first time you try it.
- Step 6: Drag and drop any app on another to create a new folder.
- Step 7: As soon as the dragged folder is on another app, leave the dragged app and tap and drag the folder 1 you just created.
- Step 8: You will enter the Folder 1 now, leave Folder 1 as soon as you are inside it.
- Step 9: Tap the Home You will now have the second folder, say Folder 2.
- Step 10: That is it. You have created your nested folder.
Hide the Apps and other stuff.
Here is how you can do it.
- Step 1: You now have two folders Folder One and Folder Two.
- Step 2: Remove the apps from the Folder Two.
- Step 3: Move the Folder Two to a screen filled with apps.
- Step 4: Open Folder Two and drag the Folder One out of it to the dock. Folder Two will now disappear.
- Step 5: Leave the Folder One while it is still in the dock. Folder One will disappear.
That does it. All the apps that you had put in the Folder one have now been hidden. Please note that the apps are not removed from your phone. But, only you will be aware of their existence. If you want to use any of those apps, you can just search for them using the search option.
One of the issues you would face is that the apps will be visible as soon as you restart your iPhone. You are forced to repeat the complete procedure right from scratch.
Please note that iOS 10 now allows you to remove unwanted apps. This includes stock apps as well. However, in actuality, it does not delete your apps, but it just hides them.
Delete or Hide apps on iOS 10
You may have heard that iOS 10 lets you delete the stock apps. However, it is not true. It lets you hide the apps from the home screen.
So if you are on iOS 10, this can be the best way to hide your apps. Here is what you need to do to hide an app using this method.
- Step 1: Locate the app you would want to hide.
- Step 2: Press and hold on that app.
- Step 3: When the app starts to wiggle, tap on the X button.
- The app is going to vanish instantly from your screen.
However, this method may not be useful if you want to hide the apps you regularly use. You will need to locate the app from the app store and tap on Cloud icon to install it. Also, the method will not be useful if you want to hide the third party apps that you have installed on your iPhone.
If you have ever forgotten your hidden folders and apps, donâ€™t worry here are few steps to find hidden apps and games on iPhone.
The Final Words
Those were a few simple ways with which you can hide apps and folders from your iPhone home screen. Sadly enough, we havenâ€™t found any straightforward option to get the things done. But, that is exactly how Apple works. Being the secure platform, it is designed to be in that way.
Unlike Android, iOS does not have any third party vault kind of apps available to hide the apps so that no one other than you can have any access to it. Have you used any of the methods indicated above to hide the apps on your iPhone?
We would welcome your feedback on the usability and ease of access to such methods. Do you have access to any other better option to hide the apps and folders on your iPhone? If yes, do share your views and opinions with similar methods of hiding an app on your iOS device.