Windows 10 is not without errors. The Application Error 0xc0000142 is one of the common errors you would experience on your Windows 10. It affects a host of core Windows applications. In fact, it can be a really annoying experience to be bogged down by the error whenever you attempt to launch the affected application. To help you in such situations, let us explore the ways on how to fix Application Error 0xc0000142 in this article.
What causes Application Error 0xc0000142?
The error 0xc0000142 is normally caused by a malfunction in the program you are trying to launch. As such the issue with this error the fact that it does not specify the exact problem being faced by the program concerned.
Read Also : how to open task manager on mac
Your operating system requires accessing some files to launch the programs when you attempt to launch it. When it fails to have access to those files, the system throws the error. The required files may be corrupted or damaged and thus have gone unusable. This error typically makes your system quite unreliable. The most common program affected by this error is cmd.exe.
How to Fix Application error 0xc0000142?
There are several methods you can employ to fix the error. Let us go through the fixes one by one.
Method 1 Uninstall some of the recently installed programs
The error has been observed to affect the certain specific set of applications. Check the recently installed applications. You can install the applications one by one to find if it brings the error back.
- Adobe Flash There are instances wherein uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash has been found to sort out the error. Check if it sorts the issue out.
- NVIDIA GEForce Experience This is another application that can cause the error. Check if uninstalling it solves the problem. If you do not want to uninstall the program, you can update the drivers for the application. You can install the drivers from the official website.
- Reinstall Drivers Check all your applications and update the drivers. You can use some good tools that are specifically meant for the purpose.
Method 2 Correct the Registry Entries
The application error can also be caused by incorrect registry keys. Sorting them out can solve the occurence of the error. Here is how you can go with it â€“
- Launch the RUN command. You can do this by searching for Run and choosing the option. Alternatively, pressing Windows Key and R simultaneously will also bring up the RUN dialog box.
- Type in regedit and press ENTER.
- In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion \Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs.
- Now double click on LoadAppInit_DLLs and change the value from 0 to 1.
- Click on OK and exit the registry editor.
This should do it. The error should be gone.
Method 3 Use Compatibility Mode
Running the application in compatibility mode can sort out the issues in many cases. Here is how you can accomplish it.
- Locate the file or program that has been causing the error.
- Right click on the program.
- In the context menu that appears, click on Properties.
- Look for the Compatibility tab and Click on it.
- Now click on Run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
- Check if the program runs without issues, and save the settings.
- If you are still getting issues, choose to check Run this program in compatibility mode
- Choose the operating system from among the options.
- Also, choose the check box for Run this program as an administrator
- Now, click on Apply and exit the menu.
A couple of more techniques to get rid of the error
Method 1 Use System File Checker
Running the System File Checker can sort out the issue in some cases. In most cases, the system file checker can also sort out the most of the other problems apart from the 0xc0000142 error.
Follow the steps indicated here below â€“
- Search for Command Prompt.
- Right Click on the Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator.On windows 10, click on Windows button and then click on Command Prompt(Admin).
- Now, type in sfc/scannow and press ENTER.
- The System File Checker will run on your system. It scans all the protected system files and replaces the corrupted files.
Method 2 Restore your system to a previous date
If the tips indicated in the previous steps have not been able to solve your issues, you may need to restore your system to a previous date wherein you have never faced the issue. If the restore does not solve the problem and get your Windows installation back on track, you will need to reinstall your Windows. However, reinstalling Windows should be your last resort.
Here is how you can restore your system
- Right Click on This Computer and then click on Properties.
- Navigate to System Protection > System Properties > System Restore
- Click on Next and select a restore point that you would like to restore system to.
- Click Next and then click on Finish
- Reboot your computer.
Please note that Windows 10 does not come with System Restore set by default. Therefore, you will need to configure the system restore and then enable it. You can enable it by going through the path, System Protection > System Properties > Configure under This Computer and Property.
If System Restore does not work for you and you are still getting the 0xc0000142 error, you may need to reinstall Windows. Please note that reinstalling Windows 10 or for that matter, any Windows variant is not an easy task. So, we would advise you take help from the qualified service personnel. As such, it needs a complete backup of your existing files.
Well, those were a few tips and tricks that can be helpful in getting rid of 0xc0000142 error on your Windows 10. As explained, the Application error 0xc0000142 can affect any of your applications and tools. There is nothing to indicate the exact reason for the issue. Thus, following the above options in that order can help you sort out the problem.
Have any of our readers come across the 0xc0000142 application error? If yes, how did you solve it? Do share your views on how to fix Application Error 0xc0000142 on your Windows installation. Have you come across any better method for fixing the application error? In that case, we will be glad to know the methods you use. Your feedback will be a great assistance to our readers.