Subscription-based businesses have surged in popularity since the turn of the decade due to mainstream access to better technology and payment methods. This business model works by charging a consumer a periodic fee in exchange for a product or a service.
Subscription models for products like meat or cars are enticing to customers because they are more affordable than purchasing those products individually. Simultaneously, those for professional services like home maintenance and tech support are much more convenient. Check out this list of some unexpected services/products you probably didn’t know were available as part of subscription plans.
With the prices of both new and used/older cars on the rise, car subscriptions may be an affordable option for many. The subscription models are based on consumers paying a recurring fee to obtain the temporary ownership of vehicles. This differs from leasing a car as there is no time-based contract; you can cancel anytime. The quality and the number of vehicles you will have at your disposal will depend on your subscription level.
Plants as a subscription product work the same as grocery subscriptions. For example, TheSill runs a model that allows consumers to choose a subscription tier (based on plant length, plant behavior, etc.), and they receive a new plant and a planter every month delivered to their home address.
Art subscriptions let you rent photographs, canvases, or paintings to improve your home decor and general aesthetic. There are many options available depending on the kind of art and services you want in your package. Services like Art in a Box can deliver artworks from California based artists directly to your door every month.
- Craft and DIY Kits
DIY kits are a much newer offering in the world of subscription business models and are a step in the right direction in fostering creativity in people. Here are two of them:
- SmartArtBox – Delivers art and painting kits to its subscribers every month. These kits range from essential to advanced customized packs based on subscription tiers.
- Adults & Crafts – Delivers tools, craft materials, and instruction sets to engage in a trendy DIY project every month.
- Educational Resources For Kids
Every parent wants their kids to have access to the best educational resources available. These subscriptions offer some of the best learning products for kids for a variety of different subjects and platforms:
- CrateJoy and KiwiCrate – Offers valuable resources like books, projects, and STEM kits as part of its subscription offering. The subscription levels are based on the age group and choice of package.
- MEL Science – Provides hands-on STEM experiments powered by AR and VR technologies for kids aged 5-10.
Wine subscriptions may be commonly offered by bars, clubs, and online retailers and vary widely in what they offer. Some subscriptions provide monthly/quarterly/annual assortments of local or global wine varieties for enthusiasts. In contrast, others prepare a more curated selection based on the connoisseurs’ grape quality and harvest year. For example, Winc, an online winery, offers one of the country’s most popular wine subscription services.
Due to the pandemic, a meat shortage has led to the rise in popularity of opting for a subscription model. The assortment, quality, and amount of meat will depend on the type of subscription plan you opt for, and the meat boxes are delivered to your home address every month. Some popular options are:
- Carnivore Club – Delivers meat every month from a new meat artisan worldwide, directly to your doorstep.
- Butcher Box – Offers monthly home delivery of grass-fed beef, chicken, heritage pork, and fresh salmon. They are free of antibiotics and hormonal injections and are delivered on dry ice.
- Computer Repair and Tech Support
Technology may not always be reliable, and with people working from home, it has become all the more important to have access to a dedicated tech support service. As such, there are plenty of options available for both remote and home computer repair services.
At-home services entail everything from computer repair to virus removal and WiFi installation by certified professionals. In contrast, remote services include expert guidance on technical inconveniences like data loss and management, software updates, and OS installation.
- Home Repair and Maintenance
Home maintenance subscriptions can be a great option if you have little knowledge and time to deal with such issues. Some popular services are:
- Super – Their services include lawn management, pest control, plumbing, electrical repair and installation, and vent cleaning billed monthly or annually.
- Hello Handy – Offers repair and maintenance services like on-demand electricians, plumbers, carpenters, regular cleaning of garbage disposal, vents, and CO2 detectors.
- You may have plenty of local options available as well in terms of lawn management, snow removal, and pest control.
- Personal Styling
Subscription models are a relatively newer addition to the fashion and grooming industry and offer professional-grade personal styling services at the comfort of your home. Some popular options include:
- StitchFix – Offers at-home try-on of a curated selection of clothes and a paid styling service for the ones you decide to keep.
- Trunk Club – Delivers to your home a high-end personalized clothing selection based on your tastes and preferences.
- Fitness Trainers and Tools
At-home fitness and training services fall under the rapidly booming Health as a Service (HaaS) industry. The closure of gyms and training institutions due to the pandemic has only added to the growth in popularity of subscription-based fitness and training business models. Many businesses provide at-home workouts and guided training sessions that can help make the transition easier.
- Primary Care
Direct Primary Care (DPC) also implements a membership-based business model and works outside of insurance coverage. It may provide lower consultation costs with no third party or fee for service charges, a more engaging patient-physician interaction, and may be regarded as the future of primary healthcare.
- One Medical – Offers DPC services, including same-day appointments and 24/7 access to virtual patient care.
- HealthBridge Platinum Concierge – Benefits include direct access to board-certified primary care physicians, 24/7 telemedicine support, and unlimited appointments with dietitians.
Convenience and Affordability Without Compromise
Subscription models are popular among many because of their affordability. Apart from this, they are reliable, offer more transparency into your spendings, and the same level of control as purchasing an individual product/service. With the pandemic still going strong, this might be the right time for you to re-evaluate your subscriptions or opt for some new ones.